SQL DBA Manager
- 35,000 - 40,000
- Closing date25/05/2018
Our client, a leading UK data-driven marketing agency are looking for a SQL DBA Manager to be based out of their Bath office.
This is a manager role within the support team with responsibility for leading, mentoring, and managing the Database Administrator (DBA) team with monthly updates and input into the Leadership Team Board Report.
You will set the standardised approach / framework for which DBAs operate, review progress against them, and provide coaching and support to the DBAs to operate against the standards.
Lead, manage and develop the DBA team. This includes:
- Review and influence planning to ensure standards are met, and appropriate detail is included.
- Keep abreast of key issues/risks/gateways on all projects/solutions.
- Review and drive continual improvement in quality standards for Database Administration within client.
- Define, maintain, and educate the business on a standardised approach/ framework for Database Administration.
- Audit the DB Prod team regularly and incorporate learnings and improvements into day-to-day work.
- Working closely with the service delivery team to ensure the smooth running and delivery of regular database builds against agreed SLAs for managed database clients.
- Provide relevant MI and reporting both internally and to clients on the performance of managed database builds.
- Review and make recommendations to the business regarding the configuration of SQL Server environments to enhance build efficiency, quality and best practice.
- Review and make recommendations to the Technical Architects and Developers regarding the optimisation and efficiency of database updated code.
- Review and make recommendations to the business regarding the sizing and versions of SQL Server deployed for a particular client solution
- Work closely with the IT & Service Desk team to give advice and guidance on SQL Server best practice for optimising performance from available infrastructure.
- Work with senior developers to define quality assessment processes and metrics.
- Continually review and enhance the quality standards of the Database Production team.
- When needed, present to prospects and clients during the bid process and when pitching for new work.
- Meet clients when required, eg during annual account reviews, or if the client is not satisfied with the service they have received from the Database Production team.
- Setting and agreeing on objectives and maintaining employee logs
- Conducting 1 to 1s and annual appraisals for all direct reports, reviewing performance
- Recruitment, succession planning and talent identification
- Facilitate temporary cover for DBA’s during absences.
Skills & Experience:
- A proactive self-starter with the ability to motivate both themselves and those around them.
- At least three years’ SQL Server DBA experience.
- Extensive experience in SQL Server 2005/2008/2012 installation and administration.
- Solid foundation in sizing, capacity planning, backup, and disaster recovery planning for multi-terabyte databases.
- Thorough understanding of optimisation and performance tuning.
- Experience in writing and optimising T-SQL stored procedures, functions and triggers.
- Good knowledge of SQL Server best practice.
- Experience in creating and maintaining SSIS packages.
- Experience in delivering projects through Prince2 or similar methodology.
- At least two years’ experience in a software product development environment.
- Exposure to the full project lifecycle.
- Understanding of SQL Server 2005/2008/2012 security administration.
- Experience in providing technical solutions for the processing of large volumes of customer name and address data.
- Experience in using SubVersion, TFS or similar code management systems.
- Experience of working to the processes of an ISO accredited business.
- Experience of the Direct Marketing, Advertising or Media industries.
Talent Accounts ManagerApply now
We take a different approach to recruitment. Instead of treating you like a commodity, we take the time to really work out what makes you tick.
David – Candidate (Head of Data)